Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Letter from Representative Jeff Denham

Dear Friend,
 
It was great to be back in the district this week and to be able to spend time with so many local business owners, students, farmers, and veterans throughout the district.  From the need to increase water allocations for Valley farmers to reducing our debt, one thing that we all agreed on is the need to create jobs in the Central Valley. 
 
My Republican colleagues and I lamented the one- year anniversary of ObamaCare on Wednesday. The health care law has completely failed to live up to the promises the Democrats and the Administration made to the American people. Have any of you seen decreased costs or lowered premiums?  Americans were promised improved healthcare but instead, many have lost their existing coverage.  The law will cost hundreds of billions of dollars that our country simply cannot afford and in a time when Republicans are focused on creating jobs for the American people, the healthcare law will eliminate nearly one million jobs from the economy.  I can assure you I will continue to work with my Republican colleagues to dismantle ObamaCare and replace it with affordable solutions and common sense reforms that protect jobs. 
 
Like all of you, I am watching closely as the Administration sends more U.S. troops overseas for Operation Odyssey Dawn. As the mission proceeds to dismantle Muammar Qadhafi's grip in Libya, we must have clearer direction and goals for the duration of our country's involvement. While there is no question in my mind that Qadhafi is an intolerant dictator, it is regrettable that Congress was not consulted prior to the use of force. As your Representative, I will continue to fully assess the scope and objectives of Operation Odyssey Dawn and will keep our brave service men and women in my thoughts and prayers.
 
This week was full of opportunities to meet constituents, whether over the airwaves or in person. I had a great time filling in as host on The Ray Appleton show on KMJ on Wednesday. My colleague, Rep. Jeff Landry (R-LA), from the Natural Resources Committee was on the show to discuss rising gas prices and the need to increase American production in order to create jobs and decrease our dependence on foreign entities. Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines and Hazardous Materials, joined me for a discussion about the need for a solid, focused plan for high-speed rail in California. He was also at the listening session our committee held in Fresno just a few weeks ago and has committed to providing oversight over the project with me. We took calls for a couple of hours and had a great time at the studio. Thank you to KMJ for having me!
 
After the show I visited Heald College in Fresno, where I toured the campus, met with students and learned about the career-focused programs offered at Heald. The students offered a fresh perspective on the need for jobs in the Central Valley. Check out a photo I posted on my twitter account.  
 
The farmers that I met with in all areas of the district also understand the need for jobs and the need to bring water to the Valley now.  Farmers at an Ag Roundtable meeting today were as disappointed as I am with the allocation numbers released by the Bureau of Reclamation on Tuesday: 2011 allocation levels for South-of-Delta agricultural water service contractors is only a measly 55 percent.  This figure is below the 20 year average final allocation of 62 percent and shows the severity of the water crisis in the Central Valley.  With reservoirs in flood operations and 300,000 acre-feet of water flowing from the Delta into the Pacific Ocean on a daily basis, it is inexcusable that farmers south of the Delta are not receiving a 100% allocation. It is time the Obama Administration gets its priorities straight. Their support of extreme environmental policies has hampered the farmers and families in the Central Valley for too long.  Now is the time to bring water to the Valley, bolster economic growth and create jobs. 
 
Today, I had the honor of speaking at the American Veterans Traveling Tribute event in Sonora.  The Traveling Tribute serves as a reminder of our memorials in Washington DC and also brings these memorials home, to our backyard, so that we can honor, remember and respect our service members and veterans who have made unparalleled sacrifices for our country.
 
I encourage all of you in Tuolumne County to visit the Vietnam veteran tribute wall on display at the fairgrounds off Stockton road and pay your respects to our service members. The traveling memorial will be open to the public, free of charge, 24 hours a day until Sunday at
 
It was great to meet so many of you this week. Hopefully I can catch up with you at one of the district offices in April. In the meantime, be sure to check my website and follow me on twitter and facebook for updates on my activity and to let me know how I can help you. 
 
After less than three months in office, we have had over 970 people sign up for my newsletter.  Thank you for letting your friends and family know how to stay in touch with me! Keep reaching out to your friends because there'll be a prize for the person to refer the 1,000th person that signs up.  

Sincerely,

JEFF DENHAM
United States Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment