Friday, April 15, 2011

Weekly Update from Representa​tive Denham

Dear Friend,
 
This week was a major indication that the culture of spending in Washington is changing.   On Thursday, Congress passed legislation that will fund the government for the rest of the fiscal year while making $38.5 billion in spending cuts.   The Administration also joined us in this effort to put an end to destructive government spending and get our country back on the right track. 
 
Today, on my 100th day as your Representative, House Republicans passed our budget proposal, "The Path to Prosperity: Restoring America's Promise," through the House.  I voted in favor of our budget which presents common sense solutions that the American people have needed for many years. 
 
The House Republican budget makes some of the largest cuts in history and it offers real solutions to restore certainty in American businesses in order to grow the economy, put people back to work and deliver results that matter in families' daily lives. While our proposals are bold, they represent a necessary, responsible step in the right direction towards addressing health care costs that are growing much faster than our economy.  Many Americans are concerned about Medicare. I assure you, our budget protects and preserves Medicare. There will be no change to citizens above the age of 55, and for those of us under the age of 54, it calls for reforms that will restructure Medicare to ensure these safety nets will still be there for those who need it.
 
I was also very busy in the district and in committee this week. On Monday I was able to welcome the House Natural Resource Committee's Subcommittee on Water and Power to a field hearing in Fresno. With hundreds of people in attendance, we discussed the federal government policies that have created California's man-made drought and discussed actions we need to take to supply the San Joaquin Valley with water. After hearing from fellow farmers and residents in the Central Valley, we agreed that increased water allocation is necessary to put thousands of people back to work, feed the nation, and grow our economy.   It was clear after the field hearing that the environmental policies put in place by the Administration are destroying the Valley and new legislation is needed to rectify the situation. Take a look at the pictures I posted on my facebook!
 
Central Valley farmers and families are also feeling the effects of the skyrocketing gas prices in our district. California families are not only paying more at the pump but farmers are feeling the effects and families are paying more for daily necessities.  On Wednesday, three bills that I cosponsored to increase domestic drilling for oil and gas passed out of the House Committee on Natural Resources. The bills are now headed to the House floor for a vote in hopes that we can put an end to rising prices, decrease our dependence on foreign oil and ease the pain felt on our wallets. 
 
Although I'm busy here in Washington, I had a chance to catch up with many of you on my teletown hall last night. We talked about a wide variety of issues including the 2012 budget proposals, rising gas prices and the cuts that are being made to wasteful Washington spending.   I thoroughly enjoyed hearing from everyone who was able to be on the call. If you were not on the call or I did not get to your question, send me an email through my website and I will be sure to get back to you.  You can also follow me on facebook and twitter and be among the first to hear about my activities in Washington and back the in the district. 
 
I am heading back to California today and I will be traveling all over the district next week. I hope to catch up with you all at one of my district offices or at one of my events.

Sincerely,

JEFF DENHAM
United States Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment