Tuesday, September 13, 2011

LP Monday Message: Heroic Libertaria​n efforts

Dear Friend of Liberty,

Several Libertarian candidates and groups have made extraordinary efforts lately that I want to point out.

Brendan Kelly, who is already an elected official in New Hampshire (Seabrook Selectman), recently ran for a special election to an open seat in the New Hampshire legislature. He was in a race against both a Republican and Democrat and ended up getting 17%. While 17% may not sound like much, historically it's very high: in 2010 elections for state legislatures, only one Libertarian in a three-way race against both a D and R got more than that. So congratulations to Mr. Kelly for such an outstanding effort.

More details, including links to stories in the Houston Chronicle and Boston Globe can be found here.

Brendan Kelly recently sent this note to his supporters:
“I'd like to thank my family, friends and associates who showed up to help me with my campaign. A special thank you to the 17% of voters who took the time to come out and vote for me. This is the third time now that I'm being informed that I could have won if I ran as a Republican. That will never happen. I believe the two major political parties are the cause of our fiscal problems and will never be able to repair the damage they have inflicted on our republic. Many libertarians have been elected by running in disguise, thinking they will be better able to make a change by getting elected. My principles and the desire to always tell the public the truth as I know it, prevent me from taking the easy route. I'm not interested in getting elected just to get elected. My goal is to make a difference. Not easy when you are outspent by twenty to one. Thank God that in politics as in baseball there is always the hope of wait until next year. I'd like to announce that I will be a candidate to be your state representative in the 2012 elections. We don't know yet what the district will be but I'm happy to be the first to announce.

Brendan Kelly, Seabrook”

Now that's the fighting spirit I like to hear.

Speaking of fighting, the Ohio Libertarians just got the courts to reinstate their ballot access.

And according to Ballot Access News:
“Several Republican Party officials in Kentucky have filed a lawsuit in state court to remove the Libertarian Party nominee for State Treasurer from the ballot....They charge that he does not have 5,000 valid signatures. The state has already certified him for the ballot.”

I'm betting Ken Moellman fights back and retains his place on the ballot. You can show your support for Ken Moellman here.

If you would like to help our party keep up the fight all over America, please donate to the LP.

Sincerely,

Wes Benedict
Executive Director
Libertarian National Committee

P.S. If you have not already done so, please join the Libertarian Party. We are the only political party dedicated to free markets, civil liberties, and peace. You can also renew your membership. Or, you can make a contribution separate from membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment