Friday, June 17, 2011

Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s Remarks at Netroots Nation

By DNC Press

Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz delivered the following remarks at the annual Netroots Nation conference in Minneapolis, MN:

Hello!  It’s great to be at Netroots Nation with all of you!

This is my first trip here and I’m very excited about it.

A couple of months ago, I was privileged to get a call from the President of the United States.  He was calling to ask me to serve as the Chair of the DNC.

When the President calls and asks you to do something, the answer is “Yes!”  But, more importantly, as a “gimme the ball” kind of person, I was thrilled that the coach put me in!

In 2008, President Obama ran a campaign powered by people at the grassroots level.  You know that, because you were an essential part of his grassroots team!   As the name of this conference implies, the netroots brought our nation together for President Obama.

Grassroots and now netroots campaigning has always been important to me as well – after all, you’re looking at someone who won her first campaign in the face of opposition from the good ol’ boys network by knocking on 25,000 doors in Florida’s summer heat!

When I think back on that race, I imagine how many more people I could have reached out to if I had access to the kinds of social media tools that are now available – and I am enormously pleased to see those tools being used by so many Democratic candidates today! (Read on)

No comments:

Post a Comment