Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekly Update from Rep. Denham

Dear Friend,
 
It was an early morning on Wednesday but I hope that you were able to catch my interview about my resolution encouraging benefits for our troops on Fox & Friends.  The resolution expresses the will of Congress encouraging airlines to do the right thing and not charge our service members being deployed or returning home from service for their baggage. The resolution has over 37 bipartisan co-sponsors and is the least we can do for the men and women protecting our freedoms every day.  After the interview I posted the video on my Facebook page. Watch here. 
 
It is important for all of us to keep the troops overseas and their families in our thoughts and prayers. We owe it to them to outline a clearly defined mission and strategy for their involvement as well as what their exit strategy will be.  As a small gesture, I dropped off sunflower seeds & beef jerky for the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs care packages we sent to our service members in Afghanistan today.  These might seem like odd gifts but when I was deployed I looked forward to getting both because they reminded me of home. I will continue to keep our troops in my thoughts as we head towards the Fourth of July holiday. 
 
As you probably heard, the debt limit negotiations were stalled this week. The negotiations could not continue until there is an agreement on taxes. Leader Cantor made it very clear this week that tax increases cannot pass the House, and raising taxes is exactly the wrong move in this tough economic climate. We are all going to need to work together to turn our economy around in a fiscally responsible way that will protect the future for our kids and grandkids. 
 
With double-digit unemployment rates and consistently high gas prices in our district, now is not the time to sit back and watch. We must act.  I believe that the House Republican plan for jobs is the right start to driving small business growth and turning our economy around. 
 
As part of the American Energy Initiative, this week the House approved H.R. 2021, the Jobs and Energy Permitting Act of 2011, by a vote of 253-166.  The legislation would eliminate needless permitting delays that have stalled important energy production opportunities off the coast of Alaska.   This, coupled with the three energy bills I co-sponsored and that passed the House, is projected to create over 1.2 million American jobs.  Developing our natural resources is critical to our local economic development. We must harness the natural resources we have, timber and water, in order to put people back to work. Double-digit unemployment is unacceptable. 
 
As Chairman of the Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management Subcommittee, I announced that I'll be holding a follow up hearing to ensure that there are consequences for the Securities and Exchange Commission's (SEC) mismanagement of its independent leasing authority.   After the first hearing I was left with no answers and to be honest, was at a loss for words at the lack of answers I received from the witnesses.  There must be accountability and consequences for this type of cavalier spending of taxpayer money. Read more about the hearing on my Facebook page. 
 
I wanted to give a special shout out to the teachers from Stanislaus County who met with me on the Capitol steps this week. And thank you to Noreen Mansuri for coming to my office and telling me about her visit to D.C. with the Congressional Youth Leadership Council. I posted photos on my Facebook page. It was a pleasure meeting all of you and I hope you enjoyed your time in the Capitol! 
 
Thank you also to everyone who came to the mobile office hours this week in Mariposa, Oakhurst and Oakdale. My staff is always eager to answer any questions that you may have. We have many more lined up throughout the summer, be sure to check out the information on the events page on my website. http://denham.house.gov/events 
 
I encourage all of you to visit my official facebook page, "Representative Jeff Denham." If you "like" the page you will be alerted to photos, videos and updates throughout my weeks in the district and back here in D.C. 
 
I'll be in the district next week and I hope to see you around. 

Sincerely,

JEFF DENHAM
United States Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment